Thursday, August 20, 2009

Christ-Myth and Paul's Ethics

Paul's ethics is one of my ongoing interests. I've just come across an intersting summary of the recent research on the subject in Currents in Biblical Research by N. Gupta.

One that particularly draws my attention is the work of David Horrell (Horrell, 2005 Solidarity and Difference: A Contemporary Reading of Paul’s Ethics. London: T&T Clark), since Horell utilizes Wendy Doniger's study on Myth in his research (Doniger, 1998 The Implied Spider: Politics and Theology in Myth. New York: Columbia University Press). Horrell, drawing on Doniger, says that myth is "a religious story believed to be true" and has "community-forming" function.

Yet, what does Horrell mean by " true" here? I myself did not check out Doniger's work, but I can definitely say that many myths were not thought to be true in Greco-Roman world, as the works of Cicero and Epicurus, for example, show.

I need to read Doniger's and Horell's works for a fair judgment, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment